Sunday, May 9, 2010

embracing last night's late show

Just need to let you know one thing. I'm a guy. But I care about issues that face all of humanity and I appreciate gaining from the perspective of a female voice speaking to these issues.

This is a good book for women (or really anyone) who has reached a place in their lives when they need to reassess where they're going and what they're doing. While most books of this nature are written by homemakers to other homemakers, many of whom have no life outside their husband and children, this book is written to anyone at this place in their lives.

I like that this is not some woman who ignored herself and her calling as a human being for twenty-plus years to watch her children grow up. (Not that every homemaker does - I know many who have had vital, connected lives while doing a fantastic job with their families.) This is a woman who has lived with drive and purpose, but enters a time of transition.

Generally, I appreciated the author's candor. There were times, though, where the author rambled on in an anecdotal kind of way a bit too long. For me, this got in the way a bit. I'm pretty sure the book could lose about 20% of its content and be just as good, but I expect this aspect of the book would resonate more with some people that it does with me.

Some of these stories are a bit strange and disconnected from many people's lives, though. Like the one where she talks about her friend, Sandra, who is wealthy enough to fly to Paris to pick out a year's wardrobe. The author tries to relate it to the discussion, which was a good one about idols, but the comparison between this woman and the general population does not hold true.

Thank you for allowing a male perspective in this conversation. This is not the greatest book, but it is worth reading for anyone who is at life's "halftime."

No comments:

Post a Comment